JEWISH GENERAL HOSPITAL
DEPARTMENT OF MEDICINE
MONDAY MEDICAL GRAND ROUNDS
12:30 – 1:30 PM
LOOKING AHEAD: PATHOLOGY IN 2020 (IN A SOCIAL HEALTH SYSTEM)
Alan Spatz, MD
Professor of Pathology and Oncology, McGill University
Director, Department of Pathology, Jewish General Hospital
Canada Research Chair in Molecular Pathology
At the end of the presentation, the participants:
1. Will better understand the most significant scientific and technology trends in Pathology and their expected consequences for quality patient care and hospital organization system
2. Using recent examples of disruptive innovations in Pathology, will be more familiar with the notion of high-technology effects and how they could be integrated in the specific Quebec healthcare context
3. Will have the opportunities to discuss the current strategies in Pathology to switch the financial threat of innovation into medical and cost saving opportunities
Contact Person: Alan Spatz, MD, Chief, Department of Pathology, Tel. 514-340-8274.
No Rounds – Thanksgiving
DRIVING QUALITY IMPROVEMENT IN HEALTH CARE THROUGH PHYSICIAN ENGAGEMENT
Joshua Tepper, MD, FCFP, MPH, MBA
President and Chief Executive Officer
Health Quality Ontario (HQO)
1. Understanding key tensions in improving quality in health care
2. Exploring the critical role of physicians in quality improvement and means of engagement
3. Understanding the growing role of patients in shaping and driving the quality agenda
4. Looking at the broader context of health system transformation in which the quality agenda is occurring
Contact Person: Joseph Portnoy, MD, Director of Professional Services, Tel. 514-340-8222 ext. 5932.
THE PERILS OF THE REFEEDING SYNDROME IN ANOREXIA NERVOSA: PATHOPHYSIOLOGY AND TREATMENT
Philip S. Mehler, MD, FACP, FAED
Medical Director, ACUTE @ Denver Health
Glassman Professor of Medicine, University of Colorado
1. Attendees will emerge with a guideline for the treatment of the refeeding syndrome in Anorexia Nervosa
2. The pathophysiological background to the syndrome will be summarized
Contact Person: Michael Malus, MD, Chief, Herzl Family Practice Centre, Tel. 514-340-8222 ext. 4725 and E. L. Schiffrin, MD, Chief, Department of Medicine, Tel. 514-340-7538.
ºPlease bring your own lunch on October 6 and 20.
The Medical Grand Rounds are an accredited group learning activity as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.