It is exciting to see our campuses buzzing with so much joy and activity. I hope that you all had a chance to take some summer vacation and have refueled your energy and enthusiasm. Welcome back, and thank you to all the new members of our community – students, faculty and staff – for choosing McGill.
For me, last year was a year of discovery. I learned about your values, your aspirations, your priorities. I listened to your observations about what McGill is today, and your thoughts on what we should strive to achieve. McGill is a community that sets very high goals for itself.
Our community understands that its strengths are in the people who have been a part of its history and the people who are here today building its future. The University has been described to me in a wonderful and succinct way: “a bunch of smart people doing amazing things and delivering results.” What a great foundation for us to build on. Let’s continue to work together, as a community and a team. Let’s focus our energies and resources on the five priority areas that we have chosen for ourselves:
- Student life and learning: Creating a rich environment for a new generation of students who are eager to put their classroom learning to use in concrete ways.
- Research: Cultivating an environment that encourages creativity, innovation and answering game-changing questions.
- Engagement: Collaborating with partners to maximize benefits from our shared expertise and knowledge.
- A learning organization: Creating a workplace culture where employees are empowered to make McGill more agile and effective.
- Space: Transforming our physical and virtual campuses into places that are sustainable, accessible, state-of-the-art and healthy.
And let’s work together on building action plans that will implement our collective vision for McGill.
It is always a great pleasure to meet you and to hear from you. As you can see from my schedule, I will be in many corners of our campuses throughout the year – and, if we are not able to meet, you can always share your thoughts and ideas at email@example.com.
Happy new academic year!
Principal and Vice-Chancellor