The grants — which will support research into areas from brain disorders to the health effects of climate change in the Arctic — are part of over $600 million in funding announced today by Health Minister Rona Ambrose for researchers working at universities and hospitals across Canada.
The announcement covers two categories of funding:
- A new category, called “Foundation” grants, provides larger amounts of long-term support for innovative, high-impact programs of research; McGill researchers have been awarded 24 of these grants, for a total of $60.6 million.
- Transitional Open Operating grants, for specific projects, will provide a total of more than $30 million for 44 McGill researchers.
The Foundation grants cover a seven-year period for established investigators, and five years for early-career investigators. Four early-career researchers at McGill landed grants in that sub-category.
Here is a list of the McGill recipients of Foundation grants, indicating the institution and/or Faculty of the investigator; a description of the program; and the amount of the award. (* = early-career investigator):
· Iyer, Srividya N, Douglas Hospital Research Centre, Medicine. Enhancing youth mental health: A program of research into mental healthcare needs, pathways, outcomes and services. $3,770,245
· Azoulay, Laurent *, Jewish General Hospital, Medicine. Cancer pharmacoepidemiology: a population-based assessment of the risks of prescription drugs in vulnerable populations. $852,701
· Chertkow, Howard M, Jewish General Hospital, Medicine. Typical and atypical Alzheimer Disease: salivary tau biomarkers, therapy with neuromodulation, and disease subtypes. $1,695,053
· Kahn, Susan R, Jewish General Hospital, Medicine. Improving long term outcomes after venous thromboembolism (VTE). $2,050,824
· Schiffrin, Ernesto L, Jewish General Hospital, Medicine. Vascular remodeling in hypertension and cardiometabolic disease: from mice to humans. $3,164,111
· Cullen, Kathleen E, Medicine. Program of investigating vestibular physiology and its disorders. $2,469,570
· Dagher, Alain, Montreal Neurological Institute, Medicine. Functional Neuroimaging of dopamine systems: application to Parkinson’s Disease, addiction and obesity. $2,155,301
· Ehrlicher, Allen J *, Engineering. Cellular mechanotransduction in the actin cytoskeleton. $665,484
· Ford, James D *, Science. A research program on adaptation to the health effects of climate change in the Canadian Arctic $753,001
· Franco, Eduardo L, Medicine. Research Program on the Epidemiology and Prevention of Human Papillomavirus Infection and Associated Cancers $2,350,689
· Gotman, Jean, Montreal Neurological Institute, Medicine. Electrical and metabolic manifestations of human focal epilepsy $2,291,930
· Park, Morag, Medicine. Mechanisms of Met activation in cancer and therapeutic intervention $3,507,282
· Petrides, Michael, Montreal Neurological Institute, Medicine. Comparative functional and anatomical study of human and monkey cortex $1,665,281
· Rouleau, Guy A, Montreal Neurological Institute, Medicine. Genetic & Biological Studies of Brain Disorders $4,959,666
· Ruthazer, Edward S, Montreal Neurological Institute, Medicine. Cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying activity-dependent neural circuit development $2,184,958
· Zatorre, Robert J, Montreal Neurological Institute, Medicine. Auditory Cognitive Neuroscience: Pathways, Processes, Plasticity and Predispositions $1,889,652
· Bourque, Charles W Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre, Medicine. Central control of osmoregulation in health and disease $2,719,408
· Divangahi, Maziar * Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre, Medicine. Regulation of Anti-Microbial Macrophage Response to Pulmonary Infections $1,293,210
· Klein, Marina B Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre, Medicine. Tracking a revolution: Evaluating the impact of modern HCV therapy on HIV-HCV coinfection $4,835,202
· Menzies, Richard Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre, Medicine. Tackling the two greatest obstacles to Tuberculosis elimination: Treatment of latent infection and drug resistant disease $7,899,734
· Platt, Robert W Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre, Medicine. Statistical Methods in Pharmacoepidemiology and Perinatal Epidemiology $1,071,717
· Rak, Janusz Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre, Medicine. Targeting vascular mechanisms of cancer progression $3,313,788
· Schurr, Erwin A Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre, Medicine. Host genetic dissection of mycobacterial infection phenotypes $2,478,941
· Seuntjens, Jan P Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre, Medicine. Monte Carlo techniques in the optimization of radiation therapy delivery and outcomes $596,694